Sound Therapy Resources
Sound, music and guided imagery have played an important role in my healing. I honestly don’t think healing would have happened in the absence of guided meditation, mantras and relaxing music. I have been taking doses of healing sounds in the morning, afternoon and evening. It was my synchronous luck that I just happened to come across Kelly Howell’s Prayer a Guided Meditation, after listening to this audio I felt so relaxed and renewed something I had not felt in a long time. Since the last year I have experimented with various kinds of sounds and music. Depending on one’s state of mind, at times some sounds work instantaneously while at another time the same sound may not be that effective. I have learnt picking music is instinctual and it is best to go with your gut feeling.
How sound therapy works? Do read What is Sound Healing for a comprehensive explanation of how sound healing works.
Mantra in Sanskrit means sacred syllable(s) or sacred word(s). Mantras are divine formulas formulated by the ancient Rishis who understood the power of sound to change the physical and emotional world. One does not need to actually chant mantras, just listening to them gradually brings about a shift in one’s thought process, leading to focused relaxation and positivity.
The popular mantras in Sanskrit are: OM, Soham, Gayatri Mantra, Shree Yantra Mantra. The popular Buddhist mantras are: Om Mani Padme Hum, Green Tara Mantra, Medicine Buddha Mantra.
Headphones are recommended for optimal results. Your brain needs to feel the vibration of the sounds directly – the sound resonance will change the way the neurons in your brain fire causing an alteration in your thought patterns from feeling stressed to feeling relaxed. The shift is gradual but the transformation is permanent. The changes happen on the cellular level. Your DNA has been modified for the better. Sound healing works but faith and patience are needed.
Do not drive or operate machinery while listening to relaxing music and healing sounds.
Below is the list of sound resources which have helped me in my recovery. This list will be updated as and when I find something helpful. Readers can send in their suggestions which would be added to this list after approval.
Since I use my smartphone for listening to music let me first list the apps which I found beneficial:
- Meditate Om App (convenient to use, has all the important Hindu and Buddhist Mantras with personalized settings: fixed count, auto exit, auto next mantra and number of counts)
- Chakra Meditation App (has a choice of 4 sounds: Mantra, Tantra, Solfeggio & musical, convenient to use, personalized settings: binaural tones, custom repeat count, auto exit, chant start delay, pause between chants, ring bell interval)
- Dolphins songs to sleep (Relaxing, helps while working, has a choice of 5 selections plus custom timer.)
- Relaxing Spa Music (Helps while working, travelling, reading or just relaxing, selection of 9 sounds: flute, blue sky, birds around, relaxation, meditation music calm, happy world, thought, concentration plus custom timer).
- Water & Gong (relaxing sounds for working, travelling, reading or just relaxing, selection of 7 sounds: ocean, rain, waterfall, sea bed, fountain, zen garden, stream. The app has a paid upgrade for better features and usability.)
- Relax Melodies (has a wide selection of sounds choose plus 3 to 4 sounds can be custom selected to play. There isochronic tones, binaural beats, ocean, waterfall, rain, flute, zen, piano, cat purring, Jupiter sounds)
Fragrant Heart has a long list of free guided meditations for practically every emotional need.
Listening to the subtle sounds of crystal bowl being played is deeply relaxing. The vibrational tones reaches the core of one’s soul, one can feel the heavy emotional layers we hold onto simply lift. One can actually sense the cells of our body resonating long after the playing has stopped.
12soundsolutions. has uploaded a series of seven short videos for chakra healing using crystal singing bowls. The videos are superb, no unnecessary talk, the sound is purity itself. Root Chakra, Sacral Chakra,Solar Plexus, Heart Chakra,Throat Chakra,Third Eye Chakra,Crown Chakra
Crystal Bowl Sound Healing- Tryshe Dhevney
Researcher and music artist Tryshe Dhevney has found that specific gemstone-infused crystal bowls resonate with powerful healing properties. These five suites, recorded in Arizona’s reverberant Colossal Cave, were designed to amplify our natural bio-frequencies for healing and balancing at every level. Upon first listening to this extraordinary music, many report an immediate and profound sense of soothing calm, relaxation, and centering.
“The human mind fixates upon the monotonous and repetitive. The constant striking of the drum produces a repetitive and monotonous beat pattern. When the mind fixates, all “chitter-chatter” and emotional overwhelm ceases. A profound state of silence ensues.” (The above Shamanic drumming audio is actually very short around 10 minutes, I fast forward it past the explanation which can be listened to once )
Letting Go Meditation
The meditation will help you isolate that which wants to be let go of and guide you through a letting go process so that you can call in and manifest what is new. This is a process of clearing the way to your Soul so it can speak in a way in which you can hear your deeper calling.
Guided Zen Meditation
A wide range of guided meditations which are free to download.